12826847

I have been ill in and out of hospital with exacerbation of

I have been ill in and out of hospital with exacerbation of asthma and arthritis. My young daughter had to go and live with my elder daughter because I needed a live in carer. We live in a rented 3bed. IHousing benefit and council tax benefit said they could not pay for the other room because there was only me and my son who is also epileptic. I appealed and because I was in and out of hospital I was not able to be on top of things and make a payment arrangement. I was not even aware my appeal had been refused till the debt collectors came to the door. That's when I asked my daughter to check the letters and realised the letters had just piled up. I then offered to pay an initial £20 and £10 every month. I still have to top up £20 for my council tax. I am on benefits and I am hardly managing. The debt company is refusing my offer. The council tax owing was £282.00, its now £1163.00. I did send them my medical letters and evidence of my illness. What can I do because it is actually stressing me. I live in Royal Borough of Greenwich. London.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Sorry but what is the debt they are trying to enforce?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Council tax
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I am having breathing problems gona have a nebuliser

You really don't need a phone call and it will rack up costs.

This is not a debt collection company. These are bailiffs.

You are underestimating the gravity of your position. This is council tax and there is a liability order against you. It is not a matter of making affordable offers. You need to find a way to pay it to stop further enforcement.

You might be able to negotiate something with the council over repayment

In the long run though, you can go to prison for defaulting upon council tax.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Still the same number

Sorry?

You saw my post above calls racking up costs?