How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 76926
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have been ill in and out of hospital with exacerbation of

This answer was rated:

I have been ill in and out of hospital with exacerbation of asthma and arthritis. My young daughter had to go and live with my elder daughter because I needed a live in carer. We live in a rented 3bed. IHousing benefit and council tax benefit said they could not pay for the other room because there was only me and my son who is also epileptic. I appealed and because I was in and out of hospital I was not able to be on top of things and make a payment arrangement. I was not even aware my appeal had been refused till the debt collectors came to the door. That's when I asked my daughter to check the letters and realised the letters had just piled up. I then offered to pay an initial £20 and £10 every month. I still have to top up £20 for my council tax. I am on benefits and I am hardly managing. The debt company is refusing my offer. The council tax owing was £282.00, its now £1163.00. I did send them my medical letters and evidence of my illness. What can I do because it is actually stressing me. I live in Royal Borough of Greenwich. London.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Sorry but what is the debt they are trying to enforce?

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Council tax
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am having breathing problems gona have a nebuliser

You really don't need a phone call and it will rack up costs.

This is not a debt collection company. These are bailiffs.

You are underestimating the gravity of your position. This is council tax and there is a liability order against you. It is not a matter of making affordable offers. You need to find a way to pay it to stop further enforcement.

You might be able to negotiate something with the council over repayment

In the long run though, you can go to prison for defaulting upon council tax.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Still the same number


You saw my post above calls racking up costs?