12826847

Is there an exeemption under copyright law for use of images

Customer Question

Is there an exeemption under copyright law for use of images for "parody, caricature and pastiche", and if so, would it cover using images from a database such as Bing Images in a mobile phone app? The intention would be to produce rebuses (picture/word puzzles).
JA: What written documentation do you have?
Customer: This is a preliminary inquiry so nothing.
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: No. This is an original idea, arising from my hobby of producing rebus puzzles purely for use among friends. It's been suggested that it could be an online puzzle app.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks.
Expert:  JGM replied 11 days ago.

There is a parody exception to the copyright legislation. Can you explain a little more what you are trying to do please.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I was just about to send one of my rebus puzzles as an example when your reply came. They are visual puzzles made up of pictures which form a word or phrase. For a bonfire night selection I included one which was simply a picture of a sausage -- the answer is "banger" (of course). I can see this working well as a mobile phone app.
Expert:  JGM replied 11 days ago.

I think I am starting to understand that. What images are you actually copying?