SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I need to know if I can change the lock on the house to

I need to know if I can change the lock on the house to prevent my husband from coming back. Our relationship has broken down for several years and although living in the same house are living separately. We are house sitting for one of my friends over seas. It is an informal arrangement with no contract but we were both paying rent until he lost his job over 18 months ago. He has not been paying any money since then and I have asked him to move out but ti no avail. Can my friend or I egally change the locks to keep him out of the house?
Assistant: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: Last year my friend had written to him to ask him to leave but his mother died around that time and it wasnt enforced. Since then nothing formal. I will be seeking a divorce but dont have the money to do it right bow.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I dont think so

Hi thank you for your enquiry and your patience. If there is no tenancy agreement and he is not paying rent and only there because your friend has allowed him to but without being a tenant your friend can give him some notice out of courtesy to leave, a week would be sufficient and yes if he does not leave she can change locks. If she is really worried that she may have inadvertently let the property to you and him as tenants she can apply for a possession order through the courts and once secured she can get the bailiffs to evict him.

I hope this is useful and I would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience. All the best

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Many thanks that is reassuring. Thank you for your answer.