How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3574
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

I need to know if I can change the lock on the house to

This answer was rated:

I need to know if I can change the lock on the house to prevent my husband from coming back. Our relationship has broken down for several years and although living in the same house are living separately. We are house sitting for one of my friends over seas. It is an informal arrangement with no contract but we were both paying rent until he lost his job over 18 months ago. He has not been paying any money since then and I have asked him to move out but ti no avail. Can my friend or I egally change the locks to keep him out of the house?
Assistant: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: Last year my friend had written to him to ask him to leave but his mother died around that time and it wasnt enforced. Since then nothing formal. I will be seeking a divorce but dont have the money to do it right bow.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I dont think so

Hi thank you for your enquiry and your patience. If there is no tenancy agreement and he is not paying rent and only there because your friend has allowed him to but without being a tenant your friend can give him some notice out of courtesy to leave, a week would be sufficient and yes if he does not leave she can change locks. If she is really worried that she may have inadvertently let the property to you and him as tenants she can apply for a possession order through the courts and once secured she can get the bailiffs to evict him.

I hope this is useful and I would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience. All the best

SolicitorRM and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Many thanks that is reassuring. Thank you for your answer.