chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I was placed in a private property after my house was

Customer Question

I was placed in a private property after my house was repossessed due to illness. The property was damp and I was having problems with reduced immunity, and shortness of breath. I was on the housing register that was 2010. I wrote complain about the dampness and the effect on my health asking to be put on priority list.I was refused, they said I could clean the mould and make sure the house was airy unless if I had breathing problems. I then wrote back that I did have breathing problems. I had medical evidence from my consultant stating my accommodation was not good for my health.Due to my illness and severe depression I was not able to follow through the application and bid. I was removed from the the list. When I got better mentally I tried to chase the housing issue 2013. By now I had developed asthma and arthritis and my young daughter arthritis. I was told my application had lapsed.Again my consultant wrote me another. supporting letter and I explained due to my health it was difficult to do a normal follow up that's why I had asked to b put on priority list.My hospital admissions due to exacerbation of asthma were frequent and my arthritic pain was worse. My mood did not get better. That application labsed again. Was aware of it last year and I have since this year put in another with medical evidence and have not yet been put on the list.Is there case of a suit against the council for failing to assist where I was at risk which led to the development of full blown asthma and my daughter skin condition eczema.
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 3 days ago.

Tha k you for your query. What exactly is your question in relation to this?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Can I sue the council? And do I have a case against them? Am I entitled to be put on priority list for housing?

I would suggest that you first file a formal complaint with the council. If you do not get a satisfactory response, you should escalate the complaint to the local government ombudsman. Details of how to make a complaint can be found at the following link: https://www.lgo.org.uk/

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

Many thanks,