UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I had a dress made for my son’s wedding. The fabric was one

Customer Question

I had a dress made for my son’s wedding. The fabric was one selected by the dressmaker but on the day of the wedding whilst wearing it the fabric kept catching either one part of the dress to another or one part of my dress to other people. This was both embarrassing and awkward as I obviously wanted to dance. By part way through the event parts of the dress in particular sleeves had bald patches where
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London NW8 9PX
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I took it back to the dressmaker. I have requested full reimbursement and compensation for the upset and embarrassment. I have been offered a credit note of £600 and an offer to repair. This not satisfactory as the dress was defective for the occasion for which it was required. The dressmaker has since called in the supplier of the fabric who has tested it and cannot see why this happened. I have asked for notes or report of the test carried out and have been told there is no report.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I had originally selected my own fabric but after several weeks (once I thought they had ordered the fabric and the dress was being made) they contacted me to say that the fabric widths were narrower than expected and therefore they would require large quantities and advised that the cost of fabric would be exceedingly high.Therefore now running short of time, they offered to do a fabric search and so they presented the fabric that has subsequently been problematic. On the first fitting sequins did shed which they explained is usual. It is not the slight shedding that I am complaining about, it is the catching of sequins and pulling of threads that led to the bald patches and the sleeves to become rolled in on themselves
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 days ago.

Yes, it would appear that the dress was not fit for the particular purpose you wanted it for which is against the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

You are free to ask for a refund and return the dress to them, but you have no automatic right to damages over and beyond this I am afraid, unless they offer you compensation ex gratia or unless you go to court and a court awards you damages.

May I help further?