chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I'm trying to publish a book about growing up in the UK in

Hi - I'm trying to publish a book about growing up in the UK in the 1950s. I have a postcard with a letter and number which I have googled and shows that the postcard is dated 1955. I have taken a photo of the colliery in the centre of the postcard, i.e. one fifth of the total postcard, and have tweaked it with photoshop. I assumed it was subject to legalities as quotations from text are, i.e. limited amounts can be used, but I also thought the whole thing would be out of copyright by now. Can you confirm? many thanks.
JA: What written documentation do you have?
Customer: Hi - I have the postcard, number L.1438, with the name Valentine's on the back and Printed in Gt. Britain, plus the words in the centre, dividing the address section: This is a real photograph. I bought it when I had a French penfriend and intended to send it to her, but did not. Thanks
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: Hi - nothing has gone that far, I am simply being challenged by the publishing company to obtain permission to use the section which I have photographed. I thought it would be out of copyright. I have seen a discussion which suggests that all photos before the law of 1956 in the UK were out of copyright.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so. But will I get written confirmation of the response? thanks

Thank you for your query. Copyright lasts for 70 years in the UK from the date of death of the author. Therefore, the copyright would expire 70 years from the date of death of the author.

Further, if you are only using a part of the photograph, the fair use rules would come into play. Therefore, provided you have not used a substantial part of the picture, you would be permitted to copy it.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.