Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I am currently off work with work stress, the company i work

I am currently off work with work stress , the company i work for deducted £338 80p from my wages , l got paid on 31 oct , I rang up to ask for the reason and my manager told me its because i am paid in advance . and as i have been off since the 21 oct they deducted this advance pay ,In my contract it states i will be paid a month in arrears, I have worked for this company for 7 yrs and this is the first time i have been on the sick ,surely the money i earned should be untouchable ? are employers allowed to deduct money from an earned income ? and if my contract says i am paid monthly this tail about being paid in advance is a breach of contract.
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: As i said my manager told me i was paid in advance
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I am an employee driving a van i work part time 30 hours a week
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: can,t think of anything more

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

Can I just check, how long have you been off sick for?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I last worked on the 18th of october . am due to go back on 11 november

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. Being paid in arrears means you are paid after the event for which you are paid occurs. So usually if you work a whole month and get paid at the end of the month, that payment would cover the month just gone. So if you get paid in arrears on 31 Oct, you would have been paid for the whole of October. However., if you have been off since 21 October then you would have money deducted from the 21-31 October for not being in work and only getting Statutory Sick Pay (on the assumption you do not get full pay for being off sick, in which case your pay should have remained in full).

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
yes . I was thinking pay was a month behind. thanks

All the best