How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 11266
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

Jim thanks so much. My council is Enfield. I think I would

This answer was rated:

Jim thanks so much. My council is Enfield . I think I would be happy to go ahead if the fee is £300 and I’m pretty sure I’ll recover this. Is this something you would able to help?

I will set out the method to apply for an injunction in my next message

First of all (and this is compulsory) send the neighbour a cease and desist letter to warn them of your intentions unless they stop (and give them 7 days to stop their conduct). A template “cease and desist” letter is available at You can use your own letter if you wish - it just has to make it clear this is a cease and desist letter, that you demand they stop their conduct, and that if they do not within 7 days you will apply to the court for the injunction and seek your costs.

That letter may well be enough to stop the conduct - as an injunction is a serious legal remedy.

Assuming they continue, you will need to complete the attached N208 claim form (to start proceedings) and the application for an injunction N16a form and send to your county court with a fee of £308 payable to HMCTS.

You will need to prepare a witness statement to accompany the form. A template is attached for you to use.

You will need to detail the issues with the neighbour to paint a picture for the Judge as they will not know what this neighbour has done unless you describe it.

If the injunction application is successful you can ask the court for a costs order to be paid by the neighbour.

The court will list a hearing where you attend and ask the District Judge for an order and the injunction. The application would be made under the tort of trespass and the fact the Neighbouring Land Act 1992 requires your neighbour to obtain permission from yourself to erect scaffold in order to carry out improvement works.

If granted, the Order is then served on the individual concerned and they are bound by the court order - if they breach the order, they are in contempt of court and could well face a fine and a prison term.

If you want to draft the application then I can check it before you send it. The cease and desist letter may work so you may not need to apply but if you do, come back here and I will gladly check it for you.

I recommend you go to the court in person with the forms to ensure they are correct - they are fairly complex so it would save time by you doing this - the court staff should check them before they issue the papers.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button at the top of your screen to do this), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Many thanks,


JimLawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks again. I will start proceedings on Monday as I’m travelling today, so sorry if I’m slow in replying.

No problem at all. If you would like to come back to me if you have further questions.

Have a good weekend.


Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Jim.
I was in touch a couple of weeks ago.
I sent the Cease and Desist letter as advised but it has not worked out, so I am putting together the injunction to Edmonton Country Court this week. I've drafted all the docs but wanted to double-check with you if they look ok?
They are still unsigned and planning on going to hand them in person on Friday. Any advice on this I will appreciate it.
Thanks again,

Hi, in details of the claim it needs to state you are applying for an injunction. And in the bottom right of the claim form where it says court fee, insert £308.

And on the N16a, tick the "no" box where it refers to human rights.

If you have any evidence to support the application (e.g. photographs or anything else) then I would recommend they are referred to in para 2 of the witness statement.

Apart from that it looks OK

If you could please post a new question to the main site, it will not cost extra assuming you are a member. If you would like me to deal with the new question please mark them “FAO:JIM” and I will pick it up as soon as I can.

Many thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Jim - I was trying to reactivate my account but the system didn’t work earlier. I’ll try again when I get home.

No problem at all, thank you and have a good evening