How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6011
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

Ellen Nice to meet you I need an advice on mediation we are

This answer was rated:

Hi Ellen Nice to meet you I need an advice on mediation we are in divorce procedure with my husband. He is a Petitioner.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: He did I received divorce petition last week and sending it back today
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: we mainly agree. However, finances dividing is a problem we most likely will need a mediation but it's pricy as I am freelancer and on a low incomes (because I was providing the main care for our son of 6 y.o.)
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Sorry, you Pearl :)

Hello, my name is*****’ve been asked to look at this for you, thank you for your patience.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

Regarding mediation, you can find a local mediator via the link here:

Assessments are usually around £30-£40, with further sessions varying in price from £40 - £100 depending on the mediator. Costs should be shared equally though. The mediator will advise as to how many sessions might be required.

You do need to do this before you apply to court for the financial order, so it's worth getting started as soon as you can.

Do you have any further questions?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you very much for your answer, Peter.
Could I double check one deal as well? My husband says that if we will go though mediation they will make us to sell our flat on an auction to divide between me and the son and him. Is it true? Or we are taking care of selling it ourselves, obviously, for the biggest price we can)? Thank you very much.

My pleasure.

You would sell the property yourself. And the asset is to be split just between you and your husband.

If one of you has care of your son then that party can ask for a larger share of the proceeds of sale. But your son does not get a share in the property.

It would not have to go to auction - I have no idea where he has got this information from!

I hope this clarifies things?

If so, please take a second to rate my response with 5 stars as this will credit me for my time.

Thanks and do let me know if you have further questions, follow ups are part of the service, even if you have already taken the time to rate for me.

Kind regards,


plclegal and other Law Specialists are ready to help you