How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 66818
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I lived with my partner for 20 years and we split up last

This answer was rated:

I lived with my partner for 20 years and we split up last year . He was looking after my dog but now won’t let myself I my daughter see the dog , the dog is mine and I bought him for my daughter, is there anything I can do about this or do I just have to try and accept this
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Not yet this only happened yesterday, my 17 year old daughter went to his house to try and see the dog , her father dragged her down the stairs by her legs and ripped her fingernail off then physically threw her out his house
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I live in East Lothian in Scotland
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don’t think so thanks

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

Who has been responsible for the general upkeep of the dog?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Until last year myself although I used to see to him 3 dats a week as my ex works long hours also had dog at weekends

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can you give me any advice in this matter

Many thanks for your patience. A dog is considered an inanimate object in law, just in the same way as a car, fridge, etc. If someone is keeping it and not returning it, then it would be difficult to physically force them to return it. In the end, the most realistic outcome from legal action is to get financial compensation up to the value of the dog. Saying that, there is a rather simple option which you may also want to try – if you know where it is being walked you can always go there and call it and if it comes to you, then you are free to take it – it is yours after all. Obviously it is up to you to consider whether that is a viable option and if it is safe to do, considering what your ex may be like