ivorylounge
ivorylounge,
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
27487359

My ex and I own a house and she is getting married can her

My ex and I own a house and she is getting married can her new husband claim on our joint house
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Nottinghamshire
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

IN what way?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
They have recently moved into the house which I own with my ex jointly . They are getting married in a few months when they get married does he have a claim on the house in anyway or does it stay between me and my ex so when we sell it we both get 50/50
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I read somewhere that he can’t have any claim on the house now even if he’s contributing towards mortgage but it changes when they marry

Let me see if I can help and please rate 5 stars. Once they are married then he can bring a claim against her share of the property (on the basis that they are married) should they decide to split in the future,. He could bring a claim even before they marry if she agrees he has a share, or indeed he is improving the property. You may wish to sign a deed of trust with the two of them just to protect yourself in the future. A solicitor can draft such a deed. I hope that makes sense. Happy to discuss and please rate 5 stars

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Also my ex is paying the mortgage with her new partner since moving back into the house 2 months ago let’s say she pays that mortgage for the next 5 years then we sell that is what we had planned to do will she have a claim higher than 50/50% because she has paid the mortgage I feel her new partner is just renting my half of that make sense what would you advice me to do

I would get a deed of trust - setting out the basis of things to avoid any confusion going forward.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
So in the deed of trust if we all agree she gets 50% and so do I regardless who pays the mortgage that covers me ?

If that's what you agree. It provides clarity

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
So are you saying she can claim more of 50% if she pays the mortgage for the next 5 years ? I’ve heard she can claim more Cos she’s paid more or doesn’t it matter as we both jo nekton own the house ?

No. She could claim more if its not all clear now.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok thanks for help

ok