Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

If someone submits a signed statement to court which

If someone submits a signed statement to court which contains knowingly false information, but does not go on to give evidence in court, is this classed as perjury or contempt of court?
Assistant: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: It was a civil liability case and the trial had commenced. Admission was then given to defendants barrister about the lie before giving evidence in court. The case has currently been adjourned
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks

Welcome to Just answer.

I am currently reviewing your question and will return to you shortly

Please note pursuant to the court procedure rules 32.14, a person will be in contempt of court if he/she makes or causes a false statement that is SIGNED by a statement of truth and also knows the content within the statement is false

do you want the link to access the law for future reference?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you - can you please tell me what the potential punishments are for this offence?