UK Solicitor John
UK Solicitor John, Solicitor
Experience:  8 years legal experience
106125879

We had an issue yesterday with foul water gushing out of our

We had an issue yesterday with foul water gushing out of our drains and contaminating paths/drives and garage. Is it the reponsibility of the water authority to clean up the very obvious mess/
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In LN6 area (North Kesteven). Complication as tap water is provided by Anglian Water and waste water is provided by Seven Trent
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Seven Trent came out last night and took pictures. I informed them that it is an issue with the pump station just down the road. They went to have a look at the station, can back and informed me that the pumb station was full meaning that the pump had given up trying and stopped.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes. This is not the first time this has happend. However it has never been as bad as this. The garden area has excrement and is littered with toilet paper and other things.

Hello welcome to just answer. I am just reviewing your question.

Please be aware this is not a chat service so there may be delays in responding.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
OK

Hi sorry to hear about this.

You are correct in that it is the water company’s responsibility. They should do this pursuant to s94 of the Water Industry Act 91 which places statutory duty on them to maintain the public sewers to ensure the area is effectually drained and remains operational. As they have not done so, they will be liable for the escape of water damage.

I hope this helps and would be grateful for a positive rating, but please let me know if you have any more questions, thank you. John