ivorylounge
ivorylounge,
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
27487359

A builder has left my extension for me to finish ,after

Hi a builder has left my extension for me to finish ,after taking 43k ,he went into volentery liquidation back in jan we have just found out.Building inspection has not been carried out at any stage,
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Melksham wilts
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Emailed him asking about some faults I have spotted and when he can put right.He basically said I can finish the build myself
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He took some payments in his company name and some in his personal name

Let me see if I can help and please rate 5 stars. If he was taking some payments in his private name then you may have a personal claim against his which is not protected by the company going into liquidation. I would be minded to sit down with your paperwork (and evidence of the dual payments) with a solicitor and go through whether there is such a claim - although I have been successful with this in the past. You also need to be sure that he himself has some assets and will not simply follow the company into liquidation (bankruptcy). I can arrange a telephone call with you on Monday should they assist.