12826847

I was served with a notification of speeding with a posting

I was served with a notification of speeding with a posting date of 22/07/19/ The offence in question (76mph in a 50mph zone [usually 70mph but undergoing a temporary restriction]) happened on 10/02/19.
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: I pleaded guilty by post. I have just received notification of a 6 point penalty and a fine of £592. Have the police exceeded time limits for notification. Is it worth challenging this?
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: Mansfield A610 Eastwood By Pass
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. It can all be done by post

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

and you have had the same address the whole time?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
....
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have been the registered keeper of the car for 4 years and have lived at this address for 3 years
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I would be grateful for a response. I do not intend to call and be charged £44

I'm not sure what your question is?

Obviously i will not know the location of the incident?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have given the information already. It was in Mansfield on the A610 By Pass. I reside in Preston, Lancashire
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ipleaded guilty by post. I have just received notification of a 6 point penalty and a fine of £592. Have the police exceeded time limits for notification. Is it worth challenging this?

On what basis?

You seem to accept the offence?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I did, but I am shocked by the fine. I didn't realise that there was a time limit for notification which has been exceeded.

You mean you received the summons in July or the original NIP?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The NIP date of posting was 22/07/19. So arrived around 23/07/19. Clearly this exceeds 14 days.

It does. There may or may not be explanations for that. The problem with that is though is that you have pleaded guilty and so would have to get the guilty plea vacated to appeal conviction. That is quite hard to do and you are taking the risk that they don't have an explanation.

You could appeal the sentence but the penalty points are the minimum they can impose for this speed in this speed limit. The fine would depend on your income but it would also include costs of £85 and about £50 for the surcharge.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok. In a way, I accept the points but feel harshly penalised by the fine. Is it worth appealing the fine?

Depends on your income really.

Generally speaking, fines do not tend to decrease on appeal. It is a risk.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
ok