Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Can a company hold a grievance outcome that happened 10

Can a company hold a grievance outcome that happened 10 years ago in a current grievance?
Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: This was following an investigation and was a managers decision of current demotion and one of the reasons was due to an incident 10 years ago, no discussion was held regarding this in the recent meeting
Assistant: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: Employees
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don’t think so

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

Please provide some more details about your situation Please note I am mobile today so may not be able to reply until later today thanks

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi Ben
My husband had a grievance raised against him last month and after a full investigation it was a managers decision to demote and relocate him to another area in the Business, one of the reasons for this decision was a totally different situation that also happened to him 10 years ago following a grievance, I am seeking advice on whether this can be allowed
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Would you be able to call me later or email me your thoughts regarding this as my husband will have an appeal meeting early next week?

Many thanks for your patience. There is nothing specific in law which states that the decision from 10 years ago cannot be used. However, it is unlikely to be considered fair and reasonable because decisions like that should only last for a limited period of time, after which they are disregarded. For example, if someone was issued with a warning by the employer, it would last for a set period of time, such as 6 months or a year. Once that period has expired, the warning is no longer live and should be disregarded in any future decisions. This is the same position here – being 10 years old, and considering nothing similar has happened since, it would be too historic to use in a current decision and should be disregarded