How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 36307
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

My husband has just found out that his father is not his

This answer was rated:

Hi Pearl. My husband has just found out that his father is not his father and the his paternal father has tried to reach out to him but his mother blocked all contact. He found out through his father's family that his father had passed and that there was some money he was entitled to. Of course he was shocked and challenged his maternal mother and spoke to the new family. he decided to take a dan test and had to go to the mortuary where they took samples of his father's hair and nails. My husband then had to go to a lab and get mouth swobs. The results came back 99.9.... that this man was his father. Now someone is trying to contest that this is not legal so that he is not given anything. His cousins are fighting and supporting my husband and feel this other family member is just being greedy. I suppose I am trying to ascertain whether they can contest. On the sheet given with the results it does confirm 99.9???? but does have a caveat that it is not legally binding as I think it did not go through the courts.
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: sorry it was long
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does he live in?
Customer: No papers have been filed. my husband just wanted to know for himself
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: can any other beneficiary stop hubby through contesting the paternity or DNA test

Let me see if I can help and please rate 5 stars. If the court are required to make a determination (a declaration of parentage) then they would follow the 99.9% - so the cousins etc would not have a strong claim to dispute, to say the least. Happy to discuss and please rate 5 stars

ivorylounge and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago. this the full response from my question. Are you say he has to go to court... which court or can this be done through a solicitor

I can give you a call tomorrow if you are free and talk you through it.

Whats your number?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sure my husband will be around


Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can you confirm what time you will call tomorrow please.

when. is best

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
10.30am UK time but if not possible, anytime in the morning
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can you confirm what time you will call please, or should the call be cancelled?

Tried calling earlier - can you please confirm the number