Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I need advice on UK employment laws, A manager, I am the

I need advice on UK employment laws
JA: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: A manager
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: I am the only employee
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

Please provide some more details about your situation Please note I am mobile today so may not be able to reply until later today thanks

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I resigned from my current role with my manager the CEO on Wednesday November 6 and I have been working there for 2 years as an employee but without an employment contract. I have previously got the advice that with no employment contract the notice period is only one week which I claimed but my CEO said that he can hold me for at least a month. Things may turn sour and I just want to make sure that the employment law supports me if I decide to walk away next Wednesday a week after resigning
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Do you have time to speak now if I click "Call me"?

Many thanks for your patience. I am not available for calls today so you can ignore that option.

Going back to your query, you are correct that the notice period you have to give under law without a contract in place is “note less than a week”. This is under Section 86(2) of the Employment Rights Act 1996:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1996/18/section/86

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Yes thank you so much!

All the best.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you and have a great weekend!

Many thanks and you too!