Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Can the Police and reform Act be judicially challenged?

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

The Act itself, no. That is what Parliament decides.

You had 3 months from the date it came into force to challenge.

If the Police have not acted in accordance with it, then yes you can challenge that aspect.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The Police reform Act says that complaints about an investigation are not allowed.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
In a particular case the PC investigating lied that she had contacted a witness and the evidence was not useful when she had not contacted the witness at all.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The IOPC did not uphold this complaint saying that it is an effort to influence the result of an investigation and it is not allowed according to the Police reform Act.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
This is, to me, irrational. What do you think?

Yes I think you have an argument.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Customer: replied 9 hours ago.
Jamie Law the IOPC wrote in its Acknowledgement of service and resistance of grounds that the claim to judicially review its decision is totally without merit because
Customer: replied 9 hours ago.
1. Its refusal was based on the law that enquiries about investigations are not allowed and therefore it is lawful.
Customer: replied 9 hours ago.
2.the IOPC only investigates misconducts which have lead to injuries or deaths.
Customer: replied 9 hours ago.
I need now to debate these two statements. Can you please help me?
Customer: replied 9 hours ago.
It also asked that the WHOLE jr is not given permission and not its part when it is one of the defendants only.
Customer: replied 9 hours ago.
How can it do this?