How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4643
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

My step son has asked to change his last name to mine and

This answer was rated:

My step son has asked to change his last name to mine and wants me to adopt him. I am married to his mother who is in agreement. However his father is on his birth certificate but has had no contact with him since he was 2 years old. This was his father's choice plus we have no idea where he is. What do we do please? We are desperate because it is affecting our sons mental health.
Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: No we have no idea where to begin and don't really have the funds for a solicitor.
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does he live in?
Customer: We are in somerset but although we know his father is in England we do not know where as the relationship my wife was in was abusive so social services removed him for the safety of herself and the children.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that we really need help for the sake of our son.
Hi thank you for your message, You need to tell your local council if you want to adopt your spouse’s or partner’s child. You must do this at least 3 months before applying to a court for an adoption order.
The child must also have lived with both of you for at least 6 months.
The process to adopt is similar to an assessment through an adoption agency.The assessment is used to help a court decide if you can adopt the child (rather than being sent to an independent adoption panel).The court will ask your local council to provide a report on:your partner
the child
the other birth parent
The report will be prepared by a social worker and will be used to help the court make a decision.If granted, the adoption court order gives you parental responsibility for the child - along with your spouse or partner.The order also takes away parental responsibility from:the child’s other birth parent
anyone else who has parental responsibility for the child
I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Jeremy Aldermartin and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you