How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 23346
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

A scaffolder has erected some scaffold as part of agreed

This answer was rated:

A scaffolder has erected some scaffold as part of agreed contract. He now wants to take it down earlier than the agreed time. Can I stop him coming on my land to do this?
Assistant: What steps has he taken so far? Has he prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: He sent a quote, this was agreed for 12 weeks hire. He want to take it down after 10 and is demanding more money from me.
Assistant: Where is the land located?
Customer: Bosham, West Sussex. It is my personal land I’m building a house in the garden
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

This seems remarkably odd because I have known scaffolders leave the scaffolding up long after the appointed time and the reason for that is that it means they don’t have to store it!

If it’s 12 week hire then it is 12 weeks.

You cannot physically stop him and trespass is a civil matter so your remedy would be an application to court for an injunction to stop him coming on your land.

I don’t know on what basis he wants more money if it was a 12 week period.

Quicker and easier is to pay the extra couple of weeks money under duress/mistake and then at the end of the 12 weeks, taking to the Small Claims Court to get the money back from him.

Much more straightforward than an application for an injunction to prevent him coming on the land although the application for injunction, you should get the legal costs back the legal costs are going to be far more than a Small Claims Court application.

2 ways of doing it, entirely up to you which you prefer.

If I have answered your question for you, at the top of the page, you should see a rating facility. Can you please rate my reply 3 stars or more because that really helps me? Please note you are not rating whether it’s favourable, because sometimes you may not get the answer you want, but basically my knowledge and way of dealing.

The thread does not close and I am happy to answer any questions you may have arising from this.

Kind regards

Stuart J and 5 other Law Specialists are ready to help you