SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I am a concerned family member. My brother seems to have

Hello. I am a concerned family member. My brother seems to have gotten involved in what seems to be some sort of a financial scam/fraud. The facts are unclear, the story he tells doesn’t add up. So I will explain what he is telling us but maybe you will have a better understand and a clearer frame of mind as to what may have happened. He claims that two colleagues in the HR department of his former company had told him he is entitled to friend and family discount in Apple products. In that, he can purchase in bulk for much cheaper rates. So he has then sold this idea to friends and family who all have showed interest and have proceeded to order large sums through my brother (with the intention to resell). The sum of these “orders” collected through friends and family is well over 100k. And each individual had paid in departed sums “due to the way the process is done at work”. This leads me to beloved that these guys at work have pressured my brother to scam money of people he knows to pocket it for themselves. And there was never such thing as this employee benefit of cheap apple products. I am very worried. So is my family. We cannot seem to get to the bottom of this. This has apparently started since last year. But now we are having more people come forward claiming that my brother owes them money because they never received their order. I believe it started 2 years ago. How can I proceed with this. I want to go to the company and speak to someone. But what if maybe this story is fabricated by my brother? Please help.
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: So far. Nothing because we can’t get the story straight. We do not know what to do
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes. He supposedly had meetings (I presume some sort of mitigation) at work regarding this because there seems to be 2 other colleagues of his which had done the same thing, and that these two scammers from work have been brought to light. But it doesn’t make sense because apparently the other people have already been refunded but not my brother.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Departed is autocorrect. I mean meant multiple sums. So they paid eg a sum of 4000 then my brother went back and said actually they’re asking for another 11000 etc. This is the pattern with all. Others have paid only 500 for their small order.
Hi thank you for your enquiry and patience. I typed a very long response and it just would not upload and deleted. Are you by any chance able to take a call? Calls are chargeable but we can cover everything and I wouldn’t need to retype. If you can’t don’t worry you would just need to be patient with me to retype again
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Can’t take a call at the moment. Can you retype and send it bit by bit ?
I will summarise.
Sadly it sounds like your brother, alone with other colleagues is/scamming the unsuspecting individuals and it is more likely than not that their employer has not seen any of this money. Employer benefit schemes would not under burns circumstances extend to employees offering the privilege/benefit to anybody they wish,
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Is there a possibility that they have scammed my brother and made him believe that this “benefit” is real and use him as a pawn to gather the money for them. In this case. Is there legal action that I can take without the risk of my brother getting in trouble— because while his actions were stupid — I do believe my brother did not have bad intentions because the money he borrowed was from relatives and close family -these are people he could not get away from so surely there’s no way he thought he can get away with their money.
Your brother will be committing a fraud which can see him with a hefty fine and/or criminal conviction and/imprisonment. This is also conduct that would amount to gross misconduct and would cost him his job and the employer could pursue him for the loss they have suffered if indeed products were taken from stock and sent to these “customers” without payment and trace.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
But what about the two men that used him and scammed HIM surely something can be done about that to prove my brother innocent
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
and a victim
It is possible that colleagues have used your brother like you suggest. The only way you will find out is if you are harsh to be kind and you confront him and warn him of the extreme grim picture I have given above and tell him that if he has done nothing wrong he has nothing to worry about as you are going to inform action fraud and the police and go into work to speak to the management as the people defrauded are within your circle. If he is not telling the truth he will not want this to happen and he will tell you the truth. If he agrees then it is more likely than not that he is telling the truth in which case you want the two colleagues to be investigated by the employer. There is no ground for a direct claim against the two colleagues unless you have also send money and you haven’t received the promised goods. These circumstances give those defrauded every right to contact the police, action fraud and the company so if you do not get to the bottom of it first they will
If he is a victim he will be able to join those responsible to any proceedings that may be brought against him.
I hope this helps and I would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience. You may still send follow on questions post your rating should you still need to discuss. I am logging off shortly but don’t worry I can pick up any news notifications in the morning. All the best, and your brother must know he is very fortunate to have you looking out for him.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for your help. I will try to talk to him. He is very stubborn. He leaves me guessing and assuming.

You are welcome. He has to realise how serious this is especially where the people have evidence of paying him and not the company. All the best