Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I gave permission about 9 years ago to a student doing a

I gave permission about 9 years ago to a student doing a thesis on Occupation of Jersey which I had a published book on. He has now decided to publish this in book form and had approach from a production company to make a documentary and is asking for permission to use transcripts of interviews and all written work. Also asking for addresses of relatives of those interviews since the original people are deceased.
JA: What written documentation do you have?
Customer: Very little of his dissertation. My book was printed first in 2002 and the a re print in 2014 and at present due yet another print.
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No contract has been signed yet. His E mail says we are seeking your permission where applicable for the use of transcripts of interview and written work and if used at any time during any subsequent TV/film production. Clearly reference and citations will be given where applicable.

Hi thank you for your message, can you confirm your query please?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Permission was given 9/10 years ago to a research student for his thesis to use transcripts of tapes which I paid a free lance journalist to make of doctors and nurses working during the German occupation in Jersey 1940 to 45. These transcripts are part of my published book. He has now decided to publish a book, which has created interested from a TV production company. Now asking for permission where applicable for use of the transcripts and work and if used at any time during any subsequent TV/film production. He says clearly reference and citatations will be given where applicable. He stressed that no contract had yet been signed.
Also asking for addresses of relatives families since all the people in the tapes are deceased. I am not happy about this under current law.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Not happy with this as I haven't seen his dissertation except for extracts which makes the content similar to mine.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Still awaiting reply
Hi thank you for your message, it would appear they are seeking permission to use your work for this new project. If you do not wish them to do so and it is understandable why you would not, then you can write back to them and refuse permission. They cannot then use your work. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience: Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney