How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1408
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

Today I received documentation from the County Court seeking

This answer was rated:

Today I received documentation from the County Court seeking redress for minor damage to the tail light of a vehicle low loader that I was in collision with in May 2019, ie. almost 6 months ago. My car was written off. I was to blame, as my lane merged into his. As I had fully comprehensive insurance, shouldn't my car insurance co. have settled this claim from the Transporter company at the same time? Why would such a claim be made against me 6 months after the accident?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Could it be that the transporter company has only just noticed this damage?
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I'm in Northamptonshire.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I will be contacting my car insurance co. tomorrow for further information on how to proceed.


Welcome to JA

What you like to know today in light of your circumstances?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How do I stand legally?


Within regards ***** ***** limits the other party can bring a claim within 6 years from the date of the Incident. Therefore given your vehicle was insured I suggest you undertake the following steps ASAP

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This claim seems suspect after such a long time. If my vehicle had been damaged by A. N. Other, I would have wanted it redress back in May
  • Contact your insurance and send them all documents to your insurer to deal with the matter.
  • Notify the other side not to take any step as you have sent the docs to your insurer to review it and respond accordingly

Perhaps however this is something your insurance will deal with and as stated they have 6 years to bring a claim

Therefore they are still within the time window to bring such claims.

Do you understand what I have stated so far? If not please let me know

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I understand. Thank you. ***** contact the County Court then?

Not at the moment please contact your insurance as they should do this given this is part of the service you likely PAY for

I hope I have clarified the position if not please let me know

Anthony Chendo and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Many thanks for your advice, Anthony.

Your welcome