How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1404
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

Assistant: How can I help? I need some advice about a faulty

This answer was rated:

Assistant: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I need some advice about a faulty printer please
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: United Kingdom
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Had multiple engineer visits but they havent fixed problems
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Had the printer for 7 months but I have proof of engineer visits from the Manufacturer (not the vendor)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
since I’ve had it. Vendor wants to come and have a look to see, but I feel like print quality is not as promised and a lot of miss-sold information


The law in question is the consumers rights act appears the printer sold to you is not of satisfactory quality and the description of the printer given to you does not match the actual product when you purchased it.

In these circumstances the consumers rights act has a number of remedies the buyer can exercise to resolve the issue.

Do you understand what I have stated,if yes please let me know and I will proceed to the next step

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
HelloYes, I understand that :)ThanksMatt

Please ignore the automated call request unless you wish to talk to me.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No problem

I suggest you write to the manufacturer and vendor declaring your rights within the consumers rights act.

Inform them that the printer is not fit for purpose and the description given at the point of sale does not match what you actually got. Therefore you wish to have a refund for the printer.

Please note that vendors and manufacturers may not give you a full refund because arguably you have used it in between the engineer call outs

Alternatively you can consider asking the vendors or manufacturers to pay for the repairs costs if you went somewhere else to get it fixed

It they do not respond to your request please request their complaints procedure to begin filing a complaint

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Does it matter that I’ve had it for 7 months? The only reason I’ve kept it for this long is the manufacturer keeps sending engineer to look at it but still having problems. I have proof that I have had the problems since I purchased it. I also feel like some things that were advertised such as print quality and the type of paper it can take isn’t true

Given the proof you have you have good evidence and good grounds to recover your money

I hope I have clarified your position if not please let me know

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Great thanks. Someone from the company I purchased it from is coming on Weds as to look at it (it’s been engineers from the manufacturers up to now) - Should I tell him there and then regardless of what he can do (I know the problems won’t improve), I feel like it doesn’t do what was promised and ask him what the next steps are?

In your circumstances perhaps give them another chance to repair the matter and if it is not resolved then proceed

If the matter is resolved you can consider asking a price reduction given the issues you have experienced and arguably the wrong description given.

Do you understand what I have stated if not please let me know

If understood I will proceed to the next point

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I understand thank you

Ensure you keep a copy of all letters or emails. Further ensure you date them all too just in case you have to escalate the matter to the ombudsman or complaints department.

I hope I have answered your query and if so please rate the answer given using the stars button at the top of your screen as this will help improve the service given.


Anthony Chendo and other Law Specialists are ready to help you