JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

Last night I have purchase business van insurance via

Hi, last night I have purchase business van insurance via website. I have given all information asked, added some additional products, for instance tool cover, the website was updating new quote and I was happy with it and went ahead. Bought the policy, paid the deposit and set up the instalments. Soon after email confirming my policy purchase. Today I had the phone call from the insurer that they made mistake and for the insurance I have asked would be much higher price. They said I have to pay more. My question is if they have sold me a product for certain amount of money and based on all information they have requested can they demand from me more money or cancel my policy if I refuse?
Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: Sorry, I thought it’s Uk website as I’m in Uk.
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing really just questioned him how this is possible and the person on the phone said that he is not the specialist in the matter but his colleague however he is currently busy and they will call me back shortly.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello, my name is Jim and I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

They are relying upon the contract law scenario of "mistake", which means if one party makes a mistake (in this case the insurer) then they can void the contract. However, it is much harder for them to do this if a) a binding contract has already been made and b) you were not expected to notice the mistake.

As such you have a good case to argue the insurer should honour the price paid. If they do not then you should make a formal complaint to them and if that does not resolve the matter then involve the Ombudsman here:

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/businesses/resolving-complaint

The other option is to cancel the policy and if you have paid them anything then demand a refund with no penalty. If they try to charge you, sue them for the price you paid via the http://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk website.

When they call you back tell them what I have said if you wish.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (the top right of your screen & then click “submit”), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim

Customer: replied 9 days ago.