ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Advocate
Experience:  Adjunct Lecturer at University of Technology
104128041

My landlord gave us notice to leave our house as she’s

Hi - my landlord gave us notice to leave our house as she’s selling the property. We quickly found a new house and are about to leave in 10 days. Due to financial difficulty of suddenly needing to move we haven’t been able to pay our last months rent so we can pay for our new house. The landlord has our bond which is equal to the rent and we are happy to sign this over to her. The house has no damage to it due to our tenancy and our bills are up to date. She is threatening legal action and to complain to our new landlord saying we are bad tenants. We’re wanting to double check what the implications of not being able to pay rent will be. Thank you
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Shropshire Uk
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Sorry I don’t understand your question
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that’s it

Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be able to assist.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Great thank you

Whilst the money held on deposit is the same as your last month's rent, the landlord is not obliged to accept the deposit payment in lieu of rent. This really is all subject to negotiation and whether the landlord is prepared to accept this. if they refuse to, you would still be liable to pay your rent, and, upon moving out apply for your deposit to be reimbursed.

Theoretically if you do not pay it, what the landlord could do is to bring legal action against you for the unpaid rent. By the time the case is in court, you would have theoretically have moved out and would be entitled to your deposit payment back. In this case you theoretically could use this money to compensate the landlord. You would however also be responsible for having to pay the landlords cost/fees for having to take you to court.

I hope I have put things into perspective for you. Kindly let me know if I may be of further assistance. Kindly take the time to rate the services received.

All the best

RL

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Ok thank you. Do you know how much legal fees would be for this

You are welcome. How much is your rent?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
£550

Between £60 to £70

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Ok thank you ��

You are most welcome

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Just as an aside if our landlord had come to you would you advise them to go to court or accept our offer. We can prove with pictures etc.. that the house is in great condition

I would have advised him to try to negotiate/mediate with you.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
That’s great thanks so much

You are welcome