How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7542
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I entered into a subscription agreement over the telephone

This answer was rated:

I entered into a subscription agreement over the telephone yesterday with a Search Engine Optimisation company based in the USA. They said the agreement would run for 6 months and my card would be charged immediately for set up and first month then monthly. They said a contract/emails would follow to confirm everything promised and agreed over the telephone. All I have received is receipts for the initial payments. I have since reviewed the company and have discovered multiple dissatisfied customers. What consumers rights do I have living in the UK but dealing with a USA company?
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: California
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have only ensured there is insufficient funds in the account they have access to so they would be unable to debit further payments. The Company came recommended by a well known global website building firm called
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just if it is acceptable to email the Company stating I wish to cancel immediately and make no further payments, losing the monies paid to date and that there would be no recourse.

Hello, my name is Jim and I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

As you purchased whilst in the UK (and they spoke to you in the UK to form the contract), UK law applies. Which means the Consumer Rights Act 2015 gives you protection - if the service is not as described, or not fit for purpose then you can cancel. Further, you have an automatic 14 day cooling-off period to cancel. I would recommend you request cancellation with the company. If they refuse then you should contact your bank immediately and ask them to charge-back the funds. The company would not have a valid claim against you and in any event they are unlikely to pursue you further.

You should email them and highlight the above to confirm your cancellation with them.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (the top right of your screen & then click “submit”), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,


JimLawyer and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you