JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

If reports are made to the police that someone is shooting

If reports are made to the police that someone is shooting on public land and they do not take action what can someone do apart from complaining?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok to wait

Hello, this is Jim.

The Police should take notice and do something - as they are a public body then judicial review is the way to challenge their decision not to do anything but I would have thought a complaint to the IOPC would be in order (independent office for police conduct) : https://www.policeconduct.gov.uk/

I hope this helps

JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience: Senior Associate Solicitor
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
The complaint to the IOPC (after to the PFCC who ignored it) was submitted in May.
They send it themselves to the Professional Standards and a "Service recovery" reply was that an investigation that was made exhausted all lines of enquiries and the evidence was not enough to prosecute the offenders.
An escalation was submitted to the IOPC that the PC investigating had lied and that reports were missing from the system of the police. The IOPC forwarded it to the PSD who refused to record it stating that the complainant was not by law and that enquiring about an investigation was misuse of the complaint's procedure.
An appeal was made to the IOPC who asked the PSD what happened and they lied that they did not record the complaint because they had made an informal arrangement.
The final decision of the IOPC in September was that it will not itself investigate the complaint but it asked the PSD to record 9 misconducts of individual police officers, leaving out the
Refusal of the PFCC and the lying of the
PSD and the PC investigating.
Due to the above the IOPC is one of the defendants in the Jr.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
The grounds are that the complaint meets their criteria to investigate (they say it does not) because
It is about a serious case involving firing of gun and a child
Neglect of the PFCC about it and refusal to communicate setting a ban even
With the lying of the PSD there can be no trust that it would deal with the complaint.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Do you agree with the grounds for the IOPC?
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
In their final decision the IOPC stated that the Complaints procedure is not the correct procedure to challenge police investigations because the Police e and reform Act does not allow it and the only way to do it is a jr
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
So the police is also a defendant to challenge their decision that all reports have been investigated and no evidence to prosecute was found.

I would agree that JR is the correct avenue to challenge their decision. The JR judge (or panel of judges) will look at the evidence afresh and decide whether the IOPC and the Police were correct in arriving at their decision.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
This is the hardest bit of the whole jr but without achieving this everything else is void.
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Reading the witness statement?
Customer: replied 15 hours ago.
Can the IOPC receive injuction to investigate the complaint?