Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

Question relating to allegations of assault, Ireland, No

Question relating to allegations of sexual assault
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Ireland
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: No steps, this is my first time asking for help
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just need to know my options
Hi thank you for your message, what is your query please?
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
I have been accused of sexual assault when I did nothing. What are the options of protecting my good name
Hi thank you for yourself, where was this accusation made for example to you directly or to you and others? Do you know your accuser and if so how? Have these allegations been made to the police?
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Made to someone else and I may know the accuser. Nothing reported to the police but I am going to make a statement from my side

Hi thank you for your message, therefore, this may be a defamatory statement and you may be able to bring legal action in this instance. If you wanted to bring a defamation action, you would need to establish that a statement has been made about you which would lower people's opinion of you in the estimation of right thinking members of society generally. Broadly, the test is whether a statement would cause one to think less of you. The other side can defend a claim under the grounds of justification, privilege or fair comment. In relation to the defences, Justification is a complete defence to the action of defamation (as long as the defendant can prove that the statement is substantially true). as an area of law defamation actions tend to be difficult to win because of the range of defences available and because courts are reluctant to impinge and curb freedom of expression especially where the comment that is subject to the action could be seen as in the public interest. In relation to costs, it is not possible to say how much this might be with any great specifics because it would depend on the lawyers you would hire, the area of the country and the complexity of the case but such actions tend to be expensive and cost many thousands of pounds. Furthermore, even if you are successful in your action you are not guaranteed to recover your costs. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.