Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

I live in Denmark and own a property in England, where the

I live in Denmark and own a property in England, where the tenant has caused damage worth £3500 and is refusing to pay. Can I make a claim in the English small claims court?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Denmark
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: The agent who managed the tenancy has required the tenant to pay but the tenant has moved out and the agent says his job in managing the tenancy is finished.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Welcome to JA.

Yes you can commence a civil court action against the claimant. However you need to consider undertaking these steps

• Write a letter to the tenant detailing the damage caused and the amount required to rectify the same
  • Refer the tenant to the agreement they have breached
  • Notify the tenant to pay within 14 failing which you will commence court action where you will seek to recover interest in addition to the 3500

Do you understand what I have stated so far if yes I will proceed to the next step

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Yes. Please proceed to next step
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
No

If you do not receive payment or a response I suggest you consider commencing cour action via the small claims court.

Ignore the automated call request

Do you want the website for the court action route which gives a step by step guide

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Yes please

Please see the link below

https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim

I hope I have answered your query if not please let me know

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
One last - do I have to come to UK to appear in court. Or would it help if I did?

It would help if you did

Because court docs are usually sent via post

And you dont want to miss the letters

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I don't have a UK address for letters

What about the rented property I think you can use the address

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Do I have to give the court a UK address? I can't live in the rented property until the damage is repaired

You should have a uk address to make matters a lot easier and faster. You dont have to be physically at the address but checking the address for court documents is probably a good idea

I hope I have clarified the position

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thanks! You've been a great help. I feel much more informed now.

Your welcome

Please before you leave JA today please rate the assistance provided by using the stars button at the top of your screen as this will help improve the service given in future.