How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3652
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

I went through a divorce in 2013 and can’t find a copy of my

This answer was rated:

Hello Pearl, I went through a divorce in 2013 and can’t find a copy of my decree absolute. How do I go about getting a copy. I know the court but don’t have the case number ***** Nor can I find anything to do with it
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: It’s all be finalised but as I’m planning on getting married next year I need a copy of my decree absolute
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Guildford
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have sent them an email but I’ve had no correspondence.
Hi thank you for your message, If you know which court issued the decree absolute or final order, you can ask them to search their records. It costs £45 to search a 10 year period.

Give the court the date you think the case happened. The court will search 5 years of records either side of that date.
If you cannot give them a date, the court will search the last 10 years of records.
Send an email or letter to the court with your name and address, and how you want to pay.
You can by cheque or postal order made payable to ‘HM Courts & Tribunals Service’ or pay by credit or debit card by Including your phone number in your email or letter. The court will call you to take your payment.
I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Jeremy Aldermartin and other Law Specialists are ready to help you