How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ross Miller Your Own Question
Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1566
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ross Miller is online now

Can I independently take my x to court for not paying his

This answer was rated:

Can I independently take my x to court for not paying his child Maitanence
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No .I was going through csa .they were taking it from his wages .however I had to also pay for this so we are now back to direct pay and again he is refusing to pay the amount they requested..when we were on collect and pay the amounts were irregular a d not the same amount. Csa said they couldn't do any more as it was however paid although not the right amount every couple of months
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My x partner is very verbally abusive towards me so communication is impossible

Hello, ultiemtley, yes you could make a small claims action against him for breach of contract. However, before you can take any matter to court you have to use every endeavour to settle this without the court's involvement. Therefore the reasonable course of actions would be to make a compliant to the CSA/CMS in the first instance. If you feel that he is not complying and you are not getting anywhere with the CMS (which is possible) then you could make a claim against him. You can make a small claim online easily and you would need to provide all evidence in relations to this matter that you have.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

I would be obliged if you could Click to “accept” the answer and leave me a 5 star rating (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge.

Kind regards


Ross Miller and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you very much I will take these first steps

You are welcome I wish you the best of luck moving forward.