How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ross Miller Your Own Question
Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1567
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ross Miller is online now

I am an engineer who has nearly completed work on a boat and

This answer was rated:

Hello, I am an engineer who has nearly completed work on a boat and the owner tried to take the boat away without paying the final amount. Can they do this even if the boat is on private land and I haven't finished the repair? Many Thanks. Symon
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have documented all work, delivery has always been verbal. The work has increased and delayed the delivery.
JA: Where is the land located?
Customer: Gosport
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The owner has paid part of the money and with the extension in the work they I believe didn't realise the additional costs and timescales as it affected other work schedules.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help with this matter.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help with this.

The answer is no, they cannot come and take the boat. I will go into the legal details of why. Firstly, if they are refusing to pay then you can keep (but not damage or sell) the boat until such times as payment is made this is what is know as "lien". If they attempt to take the boat then they can be subjected to both civil and criminal legal proceedings. Secondly, if they are disputing the additional payments and they want the boat back then what they would have to do is pay you, however, they have to write to you and let you know that the payment is being made under duress so that they can legally dispute it should they wish to do so at a later time. Thankfully in this situation the law is entirely on your side. You may wish to send them a legal letter stating this position, you may wish to have a legal representative do this on your behalf.

I would be obliged if you could Click to “accept” the answer and leave me a 5 star rating (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge.

Kind regards


Ross Miller and 6 other Law Specialists are ready to help you