chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I’m a private tutor, I issued a contract to a parent of one

Hi I’m a private tutor, I issued a contract to a parent of one of my students. They signed the contract. In the contract it says the notice must be given to the other party four weeks written notice in advance of the students next scheduled lesson. theyve proved 48 hours notice. What are my rights?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I’ve told them that they need to give four weeks notice as per the contract
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I’ve also told them that because they’ve not given the four weeks notice they owe for the lessons

Thank you for your query. Have you demanded that you be paid for the cancelled lesson as per your terms and conditions?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
In terms of my notice period to cancel or reschedule a lesson I ask for 48 hours. This was given.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
But in the contract that they signed I require four weeks notice to terminate the agreement. This wasn’t given.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
And they emailed to say that they wanted the lesson to be cancelled and the contract to be terminated.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
So I need to know my rights

If that is the case, depending on the wording of the agreement, you may be able to claim for 4 weeks of lessons.

What does the agreement state regarding termination? Can you upload a copy of the agreement?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you I will forward it to you. Hang on.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Can you see it ok?

The agreement is silent in what happens during the notice period. For example, the Parent can give 48 hours notice, cancel all future lessons and give 4 weeks notice at the same time. Therefore, you would not be paid for any further lessons.

Moving forward, the agreement needs some work to offer you more protection. It may be worth having this drafted by a Solicitor.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.

It's a pleasure.

Kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi is there anything I can do?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The client is asking for his deposit back. Do I have to return it?

Your agreement does not cover the deposit and therefore I am of the opinion that it should be returned.

I hope this helps.