Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I booked an all inclusive cruise but when I boarded the ship

I booked an all inclusive cruise but when I boarded the ship they had no record of the all inclusive status. I was travelling with my mum and sister. We had to pay for all of our drinks onboard. The cruise was on a Royal Caribbean ship but chartered by Floating Festivals. The all inclusive deal cost £149 each on top of the cost of the cruise. RC have now reimbursed us for what we spent onboard. Floating Festivals have not refunded us the £149 each, which I think they should. Also our room was next to a disco and we weren’t informed. Should FF refund us?
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: Many thanks.
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Amanda Crisp
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I live in London and the ship sailed from Southampton.

Hi thank you for your message, yes you certainly have a legitimate argument that you paid for all inclusive status and this was not honoured, furthermore they should have informed you about the status of the cabin and if this was going to be duly impaired by the disco. That said, I recommend you write to FF and inform them that you wish to be reimbursed the £149 each within 14 days or you will be taking legal action. You will need to register at http://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk so that you are ready to issue the claim in the event they dispute the claim and do not pay you. The website is very user-friendly and you would not need a lawyer to use the money claim site. Claims with a value of under £10,000 are classed as a "small claim", so legal costs are not recoverable and the matter may be dealt with on paper by a Judge, not at a hearing. A hearing may be necessary if the court thinks that oral evidence is required to dispose of the case.

You would claim the sum for the loss, the court issue fee (details of fees are here at page 5: http://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/court-fees) and court interest which is 8% calculated on a daily rate from the date of loss to date of court judgment. The site allows you to calculate the interest and add it to the claim.

If you are on a low income or have low savings (or in receipt of benefits), you can ask the court for a fee remission so you do not have to pay the court issue fee.

If you win then once you have the CCJ from the court the defendant has 14 days to pay in full. If they do not then it gets registered with the credit agencies after 30 days. You can also enforce the CCJ with the county court bailiffs or transfer the debt to the High Court for a small additional fee assuming the total amount owed is at least £600 and you can use the high court enforcement officers who have greater powers than county court bailiffs. The transfer fee is added on to the debt and payable by the defendant.

I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have sent numerous emails to FF and all they say is they are not going to refund us because Royal Caribbean have.

Hi thank you for your message, with the threat of legal action this may cause them to change their mind. Thank you for the rating much appreciated.