How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16746
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

The situation is that my future in brother in law got

This answer was rated:

Hello. The situation is that my future in brother in law got arrested in his home after he was suspected that he did a hit and run. He was with someone else in the car but he admited that he was the driver but he was drunk. He got drunk at home. The police came to the door and they didn’t even ask anything from the other man that was woth him and came in the house straight away. He got arreste and hand cuffed in the house because he refused the breathalizer.
Assistant: Do you have any upcoming court dates on the hit and run charges?
Customer: No
Assistant: Where did the hit and run occur?
Customer: in chesham
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The man whos car it was, was in front of the house changing a tire. They dis not identify themselves or ask for identification from no one. They did not even check the car. They came to knock on the door and the daughter of my brother in law opened the door thinking it was someone else and they came in the house.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
They asked who drived the car, saying that they have evidence but they dis not show them to us. They just said that they have pictures. They took my brother in law to the police station, and the man who owned the car they just let him go without any questions, and they let the car go as well. Is this normal?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is anyone there?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

What is it you want to know about this?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If what the officers did is legal or not. And what actions could be talen against them
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Actions taken*

No, its illegal. He can sue for compensation but I dont think he would get more than £25,000 in damages.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request compensation within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Could you tell me please what thinga of what the poilce did was illegal so that i would know better if we go for the compensation. After this i will give you the 5 star rating. Thank you

Someone else admitted they were driving - that is illegal they arrested him
Someone else admitted they were drunk - that is illegal they arrested him

They had no reasonable suspicion to arrest.

Someone else had amitted to everything

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you