How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3901
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

I have a2 current accounts with Nationwide. recently I made

This answer was rated:

I have a2 current accounts with Nationwide. recently I made a transaction which they queried as a possible scam. I have reassured them and a police officer from the regional Economy unit who accepted my explanation. However Nationwide are still refusing to allow me access. My acounts are all healthy and I have no debts Is there anything I can do
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Ilive in Malton North Yorkshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have been to two different Nationwide branches, one very hostile and the one today extremely sympathetic who contacted her regional manager but was told it could not be removed. This manager gave me the telephone number of the regional centre. I phoned them and they said they were waiting for the poice report. I gave them his information. The police officer came to see me and he was reassured by my explanation
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I dont think so unless you think there is further information required

Hi thank you for your enquiry and your patience. Once there is a freeze on the account on suspicion of fraud or money laundering they will need the police report yes and then to make a decision without too much delay. If it is taken too long and you are suffering a detriment as a result of not having access to your funds you should lodge a formal complaint so that they can give you a final decision. You would then be able to escalate to the Financial Ombudsman Service who will investigate and their decision will bind the bank. It is not a very quick resolution unfortunately however there is no quick fix once the freeze has been applied. You just have to keep at it and they will be forced to deal with it quicker. I hope this is useful and I would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience. All the best

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The answer is helpful in giving me next steps to complain. Thank you

You are welcome. All the best

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am sorry I thought I had acknowledged your reply. It seems I have no recourse to any solution other than through the bank. I have sent an official letter of complaint. I do not understand why banks can legally prevent me from making withdrawals on my account.

Hi, not to worry, its probably because the system can only pick up feedback when you rate by clicking on the row of stars at the top on your screen.If its not too much trouble may you kindly so as that will also stop the messages to you asking you to give feedback.

I appreciate your feelings about how the banks can do this. They think they are protecting you and in most cases they will be because if it was real fraud the freeze would have prevented a fraudster transferring all your money, however in the minority of cases they flag a genuine transactions as fraud and their customer suffers and this is where if they take too long to address the issue you can escalate to the FOS for them to investigate the unfair conduct.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you I have written a letter of complaint based on your response.I just to wait for their response before I can do anything else

no problem, its the sensible thing to do, to take it one step at a time.

SolicitorRM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you