SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I have taken on lasting power of attorney for my god dad and

Customer Question

I have taken on lasting power of attorney for my god dad and he cannot remember where he has bank accounts. He is self funding in care home and I need to find out where he has savings, is there an easy way to find out a list of bank accounts and balances in one place?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Dudley, West Midlands
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have already taken charge of his Barclays accounts and know of 2 other building societies that I am currently finalising the change with to my details but he cannot remember any others but knows he has savings in other places
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not currently
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 10 days ago.

Hi thank you for your enquiry and your patience. There is no central record unfortunately, however it may be worth it if you write to the main credit referencing companies eg Experian and Equifax attaching a copy of the power of attorney for them to confirm the accounts that are on his credit file. If you have his essential personal details too eg date of birth and previous addresses you can try to check his credit file on free credit referencing sites, Credit Karma is a good one. They will not tell you his bank balance however at least you will have a list of institutions even insurers who you can then write to asking for the information you are after. I think you will manage to get somewhere with this.

I hope this is useful and I would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience. All the best