How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9175
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I live in Cumbria and My Husband and I have had a Vodafone

This answer was rated:

Good evening my name is***** live in Cumbria and My Husband and I have had a Vodafone account with them for 30 years. About six years ago or could be more I contacted the ombudsman re Vodafone and the horrendous accounts system nothing has changed. Bud due to them not changing what to problem was then has now got far worse to a point that once this problem has been settled I will close the account with them.This is the situation our son wanted to open a Vodafone account but unfortunately Vodafone decided to link his new phone account on the same setup as ours and they have been aware of this and never changed it. Our works in Nigeria and other than being his mother I am his Company secretary and when I get his bills I pay them out of his Business Bank Account and never miss a payment and I do the same with our Vodafone account and clearly I pay this out of my Business account. About six months ago could even be more Vodafone sent me a letter to say that I had not paid my account for a couple of month yet I knew that I had. When following this up what they had done is put all my payment as well as his payment onto his account so that his bill was almost a nil balance at the end of each month and my account was a ridiculous amount I reported this and they went through all paperwork and said sorry this wont happen again we will transfer your moneys back to your account leaving your son with his own monthly payments to cover. the yesterday got this horrendous bill for over £400.00 and followed it up today as the stopped the use of my mobile. I managed to speak to one of the ladies who had helped a couple of month ago only to find out that all the moneys that had been place into my sons account had now been taken out and put into a dormant/empty account amount adding up to over £600.00 this is what I was told today. yet they are saying that I must pay my Vodafone bill of £400.00 ++ = I am not one bit happy and feel that this sounds like money laundering to me but I am not of legal mind and would like your suggestion on this and I would like to get this sorted and report it to the Ombudsman. Be so kind as to suggest the best way to handle this I would very much appreciate you support . Many thanks kind regards ***** *****
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: Know this has got to this state only today and I looked it up this evening and this came up .
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: as mentioned this afternoon the Vodafone assistant who helped me last time phoned me and apologised and it was her who told me that she could not believe what she had found out and the £600.00 plus being in a dormant account.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no I hope that I have covered it all. My Husband is a Barrister but he does not cover this area of law he was shocked at what he had heard and suggested reporting it to the Ombudsman.

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK and Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you this evening.

Is the main question whether you should dispute paying the £400 to Vodafone?.

You can allege breach of contract against Vodafone (you have consumer rights here which have been infringed in my view).

Given the circumstances of your case I recommend that you make a formal complaint against Vodafone and if that does not resolve the matter ask them for a final response letter (a "deadlock" letter).

You can make the complaint with Vodafone here:

Once you have the deadlock letter the next step would be to escalate this to the adjudication scheme (CISAS) - they will investigate and liaise with Vodafone which would hopefully result in a refund of any monies paid. They can also order the phone company to make a financial award if they have acted badly.

The service is covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 so you have a right to expect a reasonable service - if they do not provide that then the regulator will step in but it also means you can sue for any damages or losses incurred as a result of Vodafone's conduct.

You can escalate to the adjudicator here :

If you have lost any money then you could sue Vodafone but the court may consider that to be premature if you do not go through CISAS first of all.

You can sue for your losses via the website which is easy to use and no lawyer would be required.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button at the top of your screen to do this), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Many thanks,


Morning, if you could please leave a rating and click “submit” I would be very grateful.

Many thanks,


JimLawyer and 6 other Law Specialists are ready to help you