Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

On 9th of August 2019 I have sent 1400 £ to wrong bank

Customer Question

Hi, On 9th of August 2019 I have sent 1400 £ to wrong bank account (Monzo bank). Following day I have found out my friend have not received any money from my Revolut bank account. After checking all transfer details again I figured out that one digit in account number I typed incorrectly. Recipient name I input correctly and obviously it was not matching the actual (wrong) account. I have contacted Revolut (my bank) support and requested help. They found out that with one digit wrong unfortunately it is an existing account and transfer even if recipient name does not match was proceeded and this person unknown to me received the money sent. My bank (Revolut) initiated recall but Monzo returned only 222.91 £ from whole sum of 1400 £ and stated that no more funds were available in that account. Later I have been suggested by Revolut support member to raise a fraud cause with police as they say from their side there are no more options to help me. I reported fraud at NFIB and just received answer that "
On this occasion, based on the information currently available, it has not been possible to identify a line of enquiry which a law enforcement organisation in the United Kingdom could pursue.". What else is there for me to do to reach my money back? Do you please have any suggestion or advice how to proceed?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, where is this? And when did this happen?
Customer: UK, London, transfer happened in August 2019
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: as mentioned above
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats all
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi Ben, my name is Jan. Thank you.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 days ago.

to be perfectly honest, your options are very limited going forward. you have done all you can and without the recipient’s personal details you cannot make a claim against them in the small claims court, which would have the obvious next step. The banks will not release that information as they have very strict privacy obligations. You would have to go to court and seek a court order forcing the bank to release that information, which is unrealistic as it rarely happens. You can try but do not hold your breath..

Without that information you are stuck where you are now so unfortunately I cannot provide other options as they simply do not exist.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Oh, that is very frustrating... Is there any chance to claim the money from my bank as their support originally stated that "the relevant team confirmed that since the account number and the name does not match it will bounce back"?

Another thing Revolut lately stated is that "At this point this case can be considered as a fraud because that person basically used your money despite it was sent by mistake. If you will raise the police report and provide it to Monzo bank directly, they will escalate this issue as fraud-related and possibility to obtain the transfer back will increase. Unfortunately without those actions we are not able to assist further from our side." So what exactly they meant by tasing police report? Do they want me to go to station and report this or what can I do? I am kind of desperate now and have been given so many confusing and false information from my bank every since I started solving this with them...
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 days ago.

No you won’t be able to do that, there is no legal requirement for the banks to check names on accounts – there is a push for it to become an official requirement but at the moment it is not so you cannot rely on that. Also, this is not fraud, it is just someone getting lucky – but as they had np intention to take the money in the first place, i.e. you voluntarily sent it to them, it is not theft or fraud

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I can't just reconcile with that someone has my 1200 £ and I have no chance to claim it back... So there is no other option what I can legally do to get my money back? What would you do in my place?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Then Also I wonder why wold the bank refund me those 222.91 £ that was left in that account if they don't accpet any wrongdoin? It clearly is not right for that person to keep my money. Isn't it the same if someone finds a wallet full of money? You can't just keep it, right? Why the bank is willing to partly refund the my money from what was left in that account but is not willing to help me get the rest of it by providing information of who the owner is?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 days ago.

The bank would have likely done that under the code banks adhere to – they are however not in a position to make a judgement on the legal side of things and whether it is a crime or not. That is for the police to do and until the police order them to do anything, they will just do what they believe they should under their own codes. So you can only consider pursuing it further with the police or the banks, tat is it…unless you somehow manage to find out who the recipient is.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 days ago.

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? I have not heard back from you since posting my answer and just need to know if your query has been resolved. If you could please post a quick reply to confirm I would be very grateful. Thank you