How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalNinja Your Own Question
LegalNinja, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 754
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
LegalNinja is online now

Can you help advise me on problems with bulders? I live in

This answer was rated:

Hi can you help advise me on problems with bulders ?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Birmingham, UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I paid £4800 deposit to a builder who after 10 wks has left my home wrecked because work carried out is not done properly The builder paid back £1000 but still owes me £3800
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have learnt now that the person is a convicted criminal who has defrauded people in the past


If the builder still owes you money, you may wish to consider issuing legal proceedings against him. Before doing so, you should write to him demanding return of this payment otherwise you shall a Claim against him in the County Court. This is called a Letter Before Action.

Please see the link below on how to go about making a claim as well as a template to use to draft a Letter Before Action:

Does that cover your query this evening? :)


Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thank you

It's a pleasure.

I would be grateful for a positive rating at the top of your screen for my time. It is important to leave a rating as is how Experts are are credited for their time.

All the best.


LegalNinja and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you