Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I am currently owning a flat in London with Help to Buy, but

Customer Question

Hello, I am currently owning a flat in London with Help to Buy, but my circumstances will be changing soon as my new employer will be in Dubai. I bought the flat in June 2017. I have a few questions:
1. Does the government check if Help to Buy owners rent out their properties? If yes, how? I could rent my apartment out to friends (therefore, not posting any online ads).
2. What would be the consequences of renting out a property while on Help to Buy?
3. What could I do in my situation?
Best regards
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 days ago.

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 days ago.

1. No. They do not.

2. It is a criminal offence. As its fraud. You are getting discounted help from Government when you are not living there.

3. I can't tell you to commit an offence. But unless anyone reports you they wont find out.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi Jamie, thanks for your reply. To follow up on your answer, do you think the government (i.e. Help To Buy) could "discover" that I will be renting a flat if I file a tax return (which I'd have to do as it would be income from rent)?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 6 days ago.

It’s possible. Or someone could grass you up.

Does that clarify?