Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I am currently owning a flat in London with Help to Buy, but

Customer Question

Hello, I am currently owning a flat in London with Help to Buy, but my circumstances will be changing soon as my new employer will be in Dubai. I bought the flat in June 2017. I have a few questions:
1. Does the government check if Help to Buy owners rent out their properties? If yes, how? I could rent my apartment out to friends (therefore, not posting any online ads).
2. What would be the consequences of renting out a property while on Help to Buy?
3. What could I do in my situation?
Best regards
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

1. No. They do not.

2. It is a criminal offence. As its fraud. You are getting discounted help from Government when you are not living there.

3. I can't tell you to commit an offence. But unless anyone reports you they wont find out.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Jamie, thanks for your reply. To follow up on your answer, do you think the government (i.e. Help To Buy) could "discover" that I will be renting a flat if I file a tax return (which I'd have to do as it would be income from rent)?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 5 months ago.

It’s possible. Or someone could grass you up.

Does that clarify?

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate me 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today?

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.