How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 37435
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I need advice regarding a separation. I wS not married to my

Customer Question

I need advice regarding a separation. I wS not married to my partner but we had a business together ( registered in my name) he will not acknowledge any debts left or consider I have any rights to his property despite my years of input to the finances of the home .
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: i have been left with numerous debts and living in family accommodation. Do I have any rights to recourse?
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Canterbury
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I own a flat ( with a tenant) which I have put up for sale to pay debts and my mortgage.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 7 months ago.

Good afternoon. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service therefore i maybe delayed in replying.

how long were you together?

and there was no written agreement as in joint or tenants in common?

what did you pay for? can you prove it?

is the business still going?

what debts wont he acknowledge?