How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

My sister just recently passed away leaving a 16 year old

Customer Question

Hello! My sister just recently passed away leaving a 16 year old son alone in their rented accommodation. She has debts to the bank and rental agency. She has no will to my knowledge. Her only possession of any value is an old car. Would the bank or property lettings agency have any legal right to it?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: The property is in reasonably good condition
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: Evidence for what?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: What rights does her son have to remain in the property?
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 7 months ago.

Good afternoon. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service therefore i maybe delayed in replying.

what do you mean remain in property? is this council or private?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's a privately rented 2 bed house via a lettings agency.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He is attending college and is seeking help from social services to help him remain in the property rather than going into a youth hostel because he has a dog. Would he be entitled to universal credit including assistance with rental costs?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 7 months ago.

As a lot of this would appear to be benefit/financial assistance related, I feel this is outside my sphere of expertise and I am therefore going to opt out for another expert to consider.

The thread is now open to all experts.

Please do not reply as a matter of course or courtesy, as it means that the question thread comes back into my inbox.

An expert with the necessary expertise will reply when they are online.

Kind regards

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 7 months ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Thank you for your patience,