Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I'm a full time employee and feel uncomfortable with dogs in

Customer Question

Hi I'm a full time employee and feel uncomfortable with dogs in the office. I have informed my manager and nothing seems to be done about it?
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: yes, a manager
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: employee
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 days ago.

Why are the dogs in the office? Also, how long have you worked there for and were you aware that your employer would have dogs in the workplace?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The dogs are in the office for different reasons. One person may bring in their dog because they don't want to leave the dog home alone. Another reason could be that they enjoy spending time with their dog
I have been in the company for 8 months. I did not know that there would be dogs in the office prior to my arrival
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 days ago.

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience. If the issues with dogs are just your personal preference then sadly that will not give you any rights to challenge the employer, even if you do not agree with it. On the other hand, if there is a health and safety issue with having dogs there, such as some of them clearly being dangerous and exposing your safety at risk, then you could approach them to challenge this on health and safety grounds. Similarly, if you have a disability and cannot be around dogs for related medical reasons, you can again challenge them on that basis. However, if it is neither of these and it is just a simple fact that you do not like dogs or do not feel comfortable around them, unfortunately that does not give you any legal rights and all you can realistically do is raise a formal grievance with the employer, or eventually to leave the business.

Does this answer your query?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 days ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 days ago.

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? I have not heard back from you since posting my answer and just need to know if your query has been resolved. If you could please post a quick reply to confirm I would be very grateful. Thank you

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Yes. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 days ago.

All the best