How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 17284
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

My council have refused to collect my bin for no good

This answer was rated:

My council have refused to collect my bin for no good reason. Also the binmen the last 2 weeks have been chanting and singing what I believe is abuse outside my property by the time I got outside the door last week they were gone. The week before they shut up as soon as I walked out the door. How do I go about taking legal action??.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I live in Horsham UK. I have not talked to a lawyer as yet. If I go to law what are my options??.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have spoken to the council but the conversation got heated and they refused to continue talking to me
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They said there was wet paper in my bin it is a recycling bin with paper in and it has been raining what am I suppose do with it?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Do you want to sue for compensation? I dont think you would get more than £10,000 or so.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I may do, I should point out at this stage that I did swear at a council employee over the phone, they were not listening to me.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How do I go about suing and who do I sue?

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request compensation within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not compenate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate me 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today?

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you