How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask marcusmalin Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2321
Type Your Law Question Here...
marcusmalin is online now

One of my ex partners accused me of stealing prescription

This answer was rated:

Hello one of my ex partners accused me of stealing prescription medication from her house while I was there,I had been having insomnia and she offered me some tablets telling me to take them out a drawer we slept together and she asked if we were now an item again I said no it was a mistake she got very angry and slapped me I left them she called and said if I don’t give her 650 pounds or get back together with her she would contact the police and report me for stealing the tablets she gave me,I told her I wasn’t giving her any money and was not interested in a relationship with her so she has contacted the police and I have received a letter asking me to call 101 and ask to speak to a named officer,what should I do should I take a lawyer? Should I answer questions or should I no comment I have never been in trouble before so it’s all new to me
Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?
Customer: no I haven’t called yet I’m away on holiday till Monday
Assistant: Where did this occur?
Customer: The letter arrived today the incident was around 5 or 6 days ago
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: she also assaulted me by slapping me in the face

Hello, my name is Marcus.

From what you say you do not really anything to fear.

It would seem that she is guilty of blackmail.

They may well want to arrange an interview - the police are obliged to investigate any complaint - so you can give your side.

So I would suggest you call. Do not respond or say anything about the alleged offence.

Advise the police that you will want the duty solicitor - unless you want to instruct your own solicitor - you are likely to be entitled to legal aid so neither option will cost you.

You can at the interview make a complaint against her for assault and blackmail.

Thank you.


Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She owes &650 to Microsoft so I assume her blackmail attempt was to pay that she contacted my wife and told her I stole ta
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My wife has now thrown me out and filled for divorce


I am sorry things seem to get worse for you.

Do you have any further questions for me.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am a bit worried as after she slapped me I made a stupid remark referring to her being raped by an ex partner I basically told her it was no wonder she got raped if that’s how she treats men when she called me later to accuse me and ask for money I had started to feel very bad for the remark I made so I sent a text saying “I’m sorry the lack of sleep is making me crazy,and I had told her I had a problem” and please don’t tell my wife anything or it will ruin both our lives” I didn’t make it clear that it was an apology for the remark I made about the rape as I knew she would know that’s what it meant as when she called she said due to me saying what I said she was going to ruin my life by telling everybody I stole tablets of her,the text could be construed as an apology for taking the tablets if taken out of context I have no proof of what she said in the phone call but she has that text


All you can do is see if they produce that text and if they do you can explain the context.

The criminal standard of proof to get a criminal conviction is very high - beyond any reasonable doubt.

The most likely outcome is NFA - no further action either way.

Thank you.


Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thank you for your advice as I work as a nurse I would lose my job if I was found guilty of this so the stakes are extremely high

I do hope it works out for you. These things usually do. The police will not wish to ruin someone's career over such a matter.

marcusmalin and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you