How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4682
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

My question is ,well more of a problem now, me and my wife

Customer Question

Hello my question is ,well more of a problem now , me and my wife have a mortgage on a property that we moved out of to try and sell but we were not receiving any offers so we were thinking about getting a buy to let mortgage on the property my wife's friend said could she move in as she needed a place and would keep it occupied for us in till we arranged for a buy to let mortgage then she would be our tenant so we agreed ,
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In the UK
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Well we are due to have an inspection from the new mortgage lender the only thing is the house is a mess and not been taken care of so we are now probably not going to be given the go-ahead for the new mortgage my wife's friend has not paid us anything as we said just stay there so it's not empty , can we ask her to leave as she has not kept to her word that she would take care of the house In till we arranged a buy to let
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just need to know does she have a right to stay there as she was only house sitting
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 6 months ago.
Hi thank you for your message, you can ask her to leave she has no right to be there or you stay there. As she has not been paying rent she is not a tenant and therefore has no notice rights. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.