Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

Can my neighbour install cctv camera pointed to my house?

Customer Question

can my neighbour install cctv camera pointed to my house?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: firstly I spoke to my neighbour and said he will see what can he do..a week later he did not do any thing..
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: i contact the police and came to talk to him and they ask him to change the poison of the camera, now nothing happened
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am confused as the police said it is civil matter...just want to know my right
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 16 days ago.

Welcome to JA.

I will review your question and will return to you today.

Please note this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays.

Thanks for your patience.

Since you are filmed on someone’s domestic CCTV system, which is capturing images outside the boundary of their home, the data protection laws give you several rights.

In particular, you have the following rights:

• To be told that a home CCTV system is being used. The neighbour must let people know they have CCTV. Signs are the most common way of doing this. They must be clearly visible and legible.
  • To ask for a copy of the information that is held about you. This is known as making a subject access request. You can ask verbally or in writing for copies of any footage where your image is identifiable. The neighbour must respond to this request within one month. Bear in mind that if they regularly delete footage they no longer need, they might not hold your images.
  • To ask the neighbour to erase any personal data they hold about you.
  • To ask that the neighbour's not to capture any footage of you in future.

Do you understand what I have stated if yes I will proceed to the next step